Free Traffic vs Paid Traffic: Which is Better?
What Is Paid Traffic?
Paid traffic means that you pay for advertising. You pay per click, per conversion, or impression. You pay, and then you get traffic for your offer or whatever link it is. There are many good things about paid advertising, and I go in detail with it in this article.
What is Free Traffic?
Free traffic means free advertising. You get the traffic for free, and you don’t have to pay a penny for it. There are many sources of free traffic, but only a few who gives sales for you.
Benefits Of Paid Traffic
There are many reasons why paid traffic is better than free traffic. I use free traffic mostly, but It would be a good idea to use paid traffic as well.
- You see results immediately: You don’t have to wait until your article or youtube video gets ranked. You don’t have to write many posts in forums, do blog commenting, and follows in social media. Just make the ad and see results.
- You need only one offer which converts: You don’t need many offers. If you get one product, which sells, then you can rinse and repeat.
- You can do ads pretty easily: there is a small learning curve with Facebook ads, for example. There are lots of videos you can watch from youtube.
- You get laser-targeted traffic: You can choose the age, gender, location, interests, and many more factor if you use paid ads.
- You can close the traffic whenever you want: If you’re going to close the traffic, you don’t pay it anymore. You can control the income of your business.
- You don’t have to write articles: With SEO you need to write articles, but if you use paid ads, you don’t need SEO optimized articles
Cons of Paid Traffic
- You need to test, and testing costs money: You need to do split testing, and it costs you about $5-100 per campaign depends on your business. You don’t necessarily don’t earn with your first ads, but you need to keep on doing them until you get a positive ROI%.
- You lose money comparing to free ads: You need to reduce the expenses of paid ads to calculate your profit. You would save with free ads, but this doesn’t matter if your ads start to make you money.
- You need to learn how to do paid ads: Paid ads platforms have their systems, and you need to learn how to use them. Facebook ads, for example, is pretty easy to use and learn, but it has lots of advanced stuff as well, which are more complicated to use.
- You can lose lots of money for paid ads: If you keep your campaign open even it doesn’t give you any sales, you are wasting money. You should make a “stop-loss.” Don’t spend more money if you don’t get deals after X amount of money.
- You don’t get traffic automatically if your ad doesn’t go viral: You can get your ad go viral, for example, if you use boost post ads, but usually you pay for ads. SEO, forum posting, and blog commenting give you traffic, and it can increase all the time.
Benefits Of Free Traffic
Free ads are useful if you don’t have any budget. You can start to write blog posts or articles and begin to get traffic from Google for free. You can also make a social media account and begin to follow to get followers who can check your content or do forum posting to get visitors from sites which are high in Google.
- Ultimately targeted free traffic: You can get targeted traffic, and the best traffic is SEO for sure. It’s a small learning curve to learn SEO. You can read my blog post, where I write more about SEO in general.
- Traffic keeps on going in: You have to make a blog post, forum post, or Quora post once, and then the traffic keeps on going in. You can get lots of free traffic just with one posting.
- Almost risk-free business: You need to buy things like Webhosting and the theme (can be free), but you can start nearly risk-free with free traffic.
Good Free Traffic Sources
There are lots of sites for free traffic sources. You can check for more if these are not enough for you.
- Google with SEO
- Facebook Groups
- Forums with high traffic
- Blog commenting
Cons Of Free Traffic
- SEO takes time: You can see faster results with other free methods, but SEO takes time. You need to wait for 3-6 months before you start to see any effect on Google first page.
- You need to do it properly: No matter what you do, you need to do it properly. If you use the forum or Quora marketing, you can’ spam, but give value and then your offer. With SEO, you need to do it correctly as otherwise, you don’t see rankings.
- You need to do some job for SEO: You need to use SEO plug-ins and add snippets, you need to add alt tag for your images, you need to make your website fast, and you need to use 3-5% of the keyword in your articles. You can read more about things you need to know from the link I gave you.
- Forum and Quora posts don’t convert very well: I had over 600 visitors to the offer in Quora, and I Got one sale. Usually its more like one sale per 100-200 visitors. If you don’t share value in forums or Quora, you don’t get sales.
- You need to write content: No matter what you do, you need to create content. If you are using SEO, it’s essential to write at least 1200 word articles to get ranked. If you are using forum posting or Quora, you still have to write content.
Good paid Traffic Sources
I prefer to use Solo-ads or social media.
- Facebook ads
- Reddit ads
- Pinterest ads
- Instagram ads
- Youtube ads
Don’t Buy Bot Traffic!
If you see an offer which gives you 50K+ With $10, you are getting bot traffic. It means that somebody links IP’s to your ad using a bot and it’s sure that you won’t get any results.
It can harm your SEO rankings as well. Don’t buy bot traffic as you only lose your money for scammers.
How Well The Traffic Converts?
That depends on your ad and traffic source. If you have high converting offer with nice looking landing page, you expect to see 1-3 sales per 100-200 clicks. I have witnessed solo-ads in Udimi, which gets 1-3 sales per 100 clicks. If you use a good traffic source, you can expect to see good results. Solo-ads converts the best.
My #1 Recommendation For Free Traffic
SEO! If you want the right amount of targeted traffic, you should start to write articles. It takes time, but when the traffic starts coming in, it won’t stop.
My #1 Recommendation For Paid Traffic
I prefer Udimi. If you have a squeeze page ready with an offer that costs more than $30, I prefer Udimi. All you need to do is to choose your Category and buy the traffic. Choose Solo-ads that has sales.
You get lots of sign-ups and a few sales with 100 clicks. You can expect to get 20-40 sign up if you have good sales text in your squeeze page. Solo-ads is the best traffic source for “weight-loss” and “Make money online” niches.
If you want to use free ads, I prefer SEO and youtube. You need to work as you need to provide content, but it pays you back when you start to get free traffic.
For fast, free traffic, you can use Traffup. I have used it, and I have gotten leads and twitter traffic. You can also use other sources if you want. Paid ads are faster, but as you have to pay or it, you need to get a positive ROI%.
There are lots of free and paid traffic sources you can use, but you can waste your time for traffic sources which doesn’t work smoothly.